Cards that support ADPCM in hardware
Alexander E. Patrakov
2014-10-16 14:40:35 UTC
Hello.

Due to the "remove support for old hardware" topic that is going to be
discussed at the Linux Plumbers Conference, let me see if there is
actually any supported hardware that supports ADPCM.

A quick grep for ADPCM in the sound directory yields this:

./isa/wss/wss_lib.c: ISA, Windows sound system
./isa/sb/sb16_{main,csp}.c: ISA, classic SB16 card
./oss/ad1848.c: Another ISA card, OSS-only
./sh/aica.c: for SEGA Dreamcast console
./sparc/cs4231.c: I don't know about this

Is any of the hardware listed above still used (or usable) with the
current kernels?
Alexander E. Patrakov
Clemens Ladisch
2014-10-16 17:46:36 UTC
Post by Alexander E. Patrakov
Due to the "remove support for old hardware" topic that is going to be
discussed at the Linux Plumbers Conference, let me see if there is
actually any supported hardware that supports ADPCM.
./isa/wss/wss_lib.c: ISA, Windows sound system
./isa/sb/sb16_{main,csp}.c: ISA, classic SB16 card
./oss/ad1848.c: Another ISA card, OSS-only
./sh/aica.c: for SEGA Dreamcast console
./sparc/cs4231.c: I don't know about this
Essentially _all_ ISA sound cards are SB or WSS compatible.
Post by Alexander E. Patrakov
Is any of the hardware listed above still used (or usable) with the
current kernels?
This is the same question as whether anybody is still using hardware
with actual ISA slots. For which I do not have an answer, but I suspect
it is "yes".

Regards,
Clemens